Crock Pot Taco Soup

Taco soup isn't my favorite meal in the world. (I mean, I like it, but it's just not something that I crave, if that makes sense.) But the big draw of taco soup is that it's just so easy to make--and it's dairy free (as long as you have taco seasoning without whey in it; I just make my own). 

This recipe supposedly makes 8 servings, but I feel like it's more than that. It always fills my crock pot to the very top. We ALWAYS have leftovers. So this is a good, easy meal for when you have the missionaries over. Or like tonight, I'm taking a meal to a single sister, so I'm just going to set aside a couple servings for her. Bottom line: It's good for if you have to feed a bunch of people.

This isn't exactly like Mom's recipe. I think hers has salsa in it and a few other variations. I just like this one because it's crock pot-style, so I can just dump it all together in the morning and not have to think about it till dinner time.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes (I like "petite dice" best)
  • 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
  • 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
Note: I think you can use any kind of beans. I usually get kidney beans and black beans. I think Mom uses pinto beans. So whatever floats your boat. 

Directions:
  1. In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat. Drain, and set aside.
  2. Place the ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on "LOW" setting for 8 hours.
Serve over tortilla chips, Fritos, Doritos, or cornbread. Toppings can include sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced olives, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment