Cajun Red Beans and Rice and Beignets

In honor of Mardi Gras this week, we made red beans and rice and beignets (it seemed yummier than a king cake). I make the red beans and rice often, but I think this is only my second time to make the beignets, and they were yummy.  The beignet recipe make a lot of dough. We made half for family night, then I wrapped the other half of the dough and made another full 8x11 pan full the next morning for a gospel study class.

Red Beans and Rice

This one is pretty simple. 

- 1lb red beans
- Tony Romas Cajun seasoning to taste
-Hillshire farm sausage. cut into small pieces
- water

leave in crock pot on low for about 8 hours. Alternately, if i'm feeling even lazier I open two cans of red beans drain them and let simmer in a pan with water, seasonings and sausage. The longer I let it simmer, the better. I like to mash up a few beans to thicken the liquid part. Serve over rice.


Biegnets
This recipe is copies straight from all recipes .com
I realized after starting that I didn't have condensed milk, or regular milk.... so I mixed what sour cream I had with water and used it in it's place. It still tasted great. What I'm getting at is that this dough seems pretty forgiving if you need to make it dairy free. 

The boys were involved by sprinkling on powdered sugar and cinnamon and sugar. It's a fun and yummy family activity. 

INGREDIENTS:
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F
/45 degrees C)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
7 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup shortening
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, and blend well. Mix in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Add the shortening, and then the remaining 3 cups of flour. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
2.Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares. Fry in 360 degree F (180 degrees C) hot oil. If beignets do not pop up, oil is not hot enough. Drain onto paper towels.
3.Shake confectioners' sugar on hot beignets. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment