Whole Wheat Bread

Whole Wheat Bread

I went through a phase when Michael was a baby where I was determined to master homemade bread. While I haven't mastered it yet, I've tried enough recipes, 'shadowed' several bread making friends, and made it on a consistent basis for long enough that I feel good about my bread and am pretty committed to my favorite whole wheat bread recipe. Without further adieu:

Makes 2 loaves.

- 6 cups flour, divided*
- 1/3 vital wheat gluten*
- 1 1/4 Tbs, Instant yeast
- 2.5 c steaming water (120-130 degrees f)
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1/3 c oil
- 1/3 c honey ( or sugar)
- 1 1/4 c. lemon juice

*I use fresh ground white wheat, I also like King Arthur Wheat Flour, or 2 parts wheat to 1 part all purp. flour.)

*Find it in baking aisle, usually on top shelf. It helps the bread to be fluffier)


DIRECTIONS
- Mix 3.5 c flour, gluten, and yeast.
- Add steaming water (important to make sure it's the right temp if you have a thermometer if you can. If it's too hot it will kill the yeast). Add all at once, mix for one minute (I use a stand mixer)
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Add salt, oil, honey, and lemon juice. Beat for one minute.
- Add  around 2.5 c flour beat 6-10 minutes until pulls away from bowl and feels ready. (Add a little at a time to get right consistency. It should be smooth, and a little tacky, but not really sticky. You should be able to push on it and it will mostly spring back.)
- Form into two loaves. I like to roll it out into a rectangle, then tightly roll it up and pinch the edges to secure it.
- Let it rise to top of bread pan.  My favorite way to do this is to preheat the oven for a minute or two then turn the oven off. Heat some water in a glass bowl in the microwave until steamy, and put in the oven on the bottom rack. put bread in oven to rise. The warm (not hot) oven and steam will help it rise without drying out.
- When it's time to cook it (rise to top of bread pan or an hour or so) take the water out of the oven and leave the bread in it while it preheats
- Cook for 30-40 minutes. (I cook for 40-45 when I count the preheat time )
- Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment