Pao de Queijo - Braziian Cheese Bread


Most weeks we have a rice and beans night. I alternate between Feijuada (Brazilian back beans and rice), Caujan red beans and rice and a Bean Curry. Feijuada is probably the meal that the boys get the most excited about that I make. Today we had Feijuada, fresh pineapple and Pao de Queijo. We just needed a freshly squeezed fruit juice to feel like we were back in Brazil. You should all go and make some Pao de Queijo. It's one of our favorite treats.

1/2 c butter
1/3 c water
1/3 c mik
1 tsp. salt
2 c tapioca four*
2/3 c parm cheese (or 2/3 part parm, 1/3 parm mozz..sometimes I go wild and add extra cheddar too.)
2 beaten eggs

* Tapicoa flour/ tapicoa starch can be hard to find. This time Jeff got me more from Brazil. Lots of grocery stores carry it with their Bob's mill flours. It is kind of pricey this way (but it lasts awhile). The cheapest way I've found it has been in latin or ethnic grocery stores. It might be called polvilho azedo, or polvilho doce. I'm sure you could get it online too. 


- Preheat oven to 375
- Bring butter, water, milk and salt to boil. when it starts boiling, quickly take it off and mix it with tapioca flour. I do this in my stand mixer
- Let it cool off for about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in eggs and cheese. It will look kind of lumpy, like cottage cheese. Th consistency should be firm enough to mostly hold it's shape when rolled into a ball, but still sticky. If needed, add a little tapioca. flour 
- Form into tablespoon size balls and put on greased or lined cookie sheets. I use my cookie scoop (one of my favorite kitchen tools) to form balls. It helps to spray the scoop with oil first. You can roll balls too, think cookie dough size. 
- Bake for about 15 minutes. They should be starting to lightly brown on edges. 
- Enjoy!









3 comments: